(Colin has added more fruit on the Pernand side to this cuvée– now about 70% of the total, with the other 30% from Aloxe-Corton–and the owner in Pernand lets him work all of his vines): Bright, pale yellow-green. Nectarine and white peach aromas are lifted by lime and flowers and complicated by menthol, lavender and medicinal herbs. Very dense, fine-grained and concentrated but stands out more today for its structure and lift than for its body and size. This pungently aromatic wine really glistens and builds on the vibrant aftertaste.
Robert Parker 93-95
The 2017 Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru is showing especially well. As usual, it’s a blend of fruit from Aloxe and Pernand, but Colin told me that he is now sourcing an additional parcel from Pernand, so the blend has changed. He also added that he is picking a touch later, seeking greater plenitude. The result is a very successful wine that unfurls in the glass with a classy bouquet of citrus oil, subtle spices, crisp green apple, nutmeg and beeswax. On the palate, it’s full-bodied, deep and layered, with excellent concentration, racy acids and a chalky, phenolic finish. This might be Pierre-Yves Colin’s finest Corton-Charlemagne to date.
A soaring, cool and pretty nose features notes of green apple, floral, mineral reduction and plenty of citrus elements. While the medium weight flavors are not super-dense they still manage to convey evident power on the stony, bone dry and impressively complex, firm and persistent finish. Patience required.