Penfolds is arguably the most revered wine estate in Australia. Based at the Magill Estate near Adelaide, it’s New World wines were instrumental in laying the foundations for the burgeoning Australian wine industry and are today known for producing some of the finest wines in the southern hemisphere. In 1844, Dr Christopher and Mary Penfold planted the estate’s first vines, which they had brought with them on their voyage over to Australia. As Christopher’s medical reputation began to grow, so did Penfolds resulting in Mary taking care of the winery. Upon her retirement in 1884, Penfolds was producing one third of all Australian wines and by 1907 it was Australia’s largest winery. The tradition of Penfolds’ Bins began in 1959, with the first Kalimna Bin 28 simply taking its name from the storage area in the cellars where it was aged. Max Schubert was Penfolds first Chief Winemaker and after some experimentation in the 1950s, in 1960 the estate re-started its Grange production. Both Schubert and Penfolds won many awards and accolades, including Penfolds Grange being given a heritage listing in South Australia. The estate continues to experiment and push forward to progress and perfect their wines. Today, with Peter Gego at the helm, Penfolds has become one of the most sought-after wines in the world, in particular the legendary Penfolds Grange.