Château Margaux has been famous for centuries for producing some of the most aromatic and silken wines. Its origins date back to the 14th Century when it was known as La Motte de Margaux. The property’s layout as we know it today began to take shape in the late 16th Century under the ownership of the Lestonnac family.

The Château remained in the same family until the beginning of the 19th Century passing down the female line. After a decline in fortunes during the recession of the late 1970s, Margaux was purchased by André Mentzelopoulos. Under his stewardship, along with Emile Peyraud, the château was restored to the glory it had enjoyed during its distinguished history and is now overseen by Mentzelopoulos’s daughter and Paul Pontillier.

Château Margaux is located in the commune of Margaux and unlike many other properties in the Médoc has had very little modernisation. The beautifully elegant structure of the Château features on the label and in terms of architecture it has no equal amongst its peers.

The wine is often described as feminine with a steely structure, satin texture and perfectly balanced. It was ranked number two behind Lafite in the 1855 classification which has given rise to the saying: if Lafite is the king of clarets Margaux is surely the queen.

Château Margaux has had a long history of making rarely surpassed wine, the 1654 collaboration with the Pontacs family (through marriage) of Haut Brion led directly to the inclusion of Margaux into the group of the four First Growths, where it has remained since. The complex elegance and femininity of Margaux has led to a worldwide demand and a price tag that has tripled over the past decade.

The second wine of Margeaux is Pavillon Rouge du Château Margaux.