Located on the eastern side of Pomerol, Chateau la Conseillante dates back to the 18th Century when it was run by Catherine Conseillan, a local businesswoman, after whom the Chateau is named. A formidable character, Madame Consillan undertook the renovation of the estate and established the modern layout of the vines at the Chateau today. Since 1871, the estate has been owned by Nicholas family who continue to manage the Chateau’s 13 hectares of vines. Alongside neighbouring the vineyards of Chateau l’Evangile and Vieux Chateau Certain, la Conseillante borders the adjacent Saint Emilion appellation and the famed Chateau Cheval Blanc.

Based on predominantly clay soils, La Conseillante’s vineyards are planted mostly to Merlot (80%) with the remaining 20% dedicated to Cabernet Franc in areas where there is more gravel. These percentages are often mirrored in the estate’s Grand Vin, which is aged in 50-80% new oak barrels for 18 months, depending on the vintage. The Chateau launched its second wine, Duo de Conseillante, in 2007. Compared to the Grand Vin, this wine is sourced from much younger vines and is more Melot-centered, with up to 95% in the blend.

The fifth generation of the Nicolas family, Bertrand and Jean-Valmy, have remained true to the identity of La Conseillante in their pursuit for excellence. The estate is managed in an increasingly sustainable and ‘eco-responsible’ way, gaining various environmental certifications for their work on enhancing biodiversity in La Conseillante’s vineyards. Also, in 2012 they built a new vat room that has enabled the estate to do plot by plot vinification.

Available Wines

2021 Chateau La Conseillante, Pomerol 6x75cl

DE95JA95JD93-95JS94-95RP95-96VM96
£942/CaseDuty Status: In BondAvailability: En Primeur

2023 Chateau La Conseillante, Pomerol 1x150cl

RP98-100VM95-97
£301/CaseDuty Status: In BondAvailability: Future ArrivalETA to UK address: Aug 2026