With its optimal positioning on the Left Bank, being the first great estate on the touristic Medoc Route des Chateaux, Chateau Cantemerle perennially offers excellent value among the Grand Crus of Bordeaux. The history of the Chateau extends to the Middle Ages when it formed part of the fortifications defending the Medoc and wine production has been recorded on this site since the 14th Century. The Chateau is one of only two estates to have been subject to amendment in the 1855 Classification – as Cantemerle did not initially appear on the 1855 list, it was later added in the same year as a Fifth Growth following pressure on the Bordeaux Chamber of Commerce by the then owner Caroline de Villeneuve.

In 1892 Cantemerle was bought by the Dubos family and remained in their hands through to the 1980s when it was purchased by a French insurance company in 1981. However, at this time the estate was not in its best condition, still reeling from the effects of the Second World War when the vines had been pulled up. Nonetheless, the new owners invested in the Chateau’s renovation, with the Cuvier being rebuilt and the Chai repaired. In addition there was a replanting scheme, which has now resulted in the average age of vine today being 30 years old, and expanded the estate from 20 to 90 hectares by 1999.

As a result of the mixture of silica and gravel in the vineyard soils, the vines struggle, resulting in high levels of aromatic concentration in the grapes. The estate therefore produces fruit driven and structured wines that are renowned for rich concentrated flavours of blackberry and plum, with delicate brioche and toast, often developing a lovely nose of forest floor and liquorice with age. Indeed, Chateau Cantemerle is the very embodiment of a great claret and can be enjoyed young, but will also age for a decade or more. The Chateau produces approximately 400,000 bottle a year of their Grand Vin, with a further 160,000 bottles of their second wine, Les Allees de Cantemerle.

Available Wines